Monday, February 9, 2009

Flyness with a Purpose

Converse. Chucks. Whatever you call them, you know they're simple, classic, and most importantly fresh. My Chucks are my favorite shoes because I don't have to worry about beating some people up for stepping on a pair of shoes I wasted an entire paycheck on. And don't act like I'm crazy because you know people (myself included) lose their minds when they get a scratch on their shoes. And I'm just lazy and don't want to match everything I wear with my shoes. I'm convinced it's a sick cycle. If you can't match your clothes, you go out and waste more money on shoes until you do. But that's another issue.

Back to Converse. Maybe I've been living under a rock or something, but apparently they've been building up their brand. And I'm not talking about those ridiculous Ed Hardy Converse shoes either.



1Hund(RED) Artist #58 Steve Monti ($76.99)
First off, the Product Red movement is amazing. Although society tends to only praise these social movements for as long as they're 'it' issue, some really great artists have come out of this project. Steve Monti's design is completely dope and something not found anywhere else. The people cutouts surrounding the shoe equal complete freshness. And whenever the proceeds go to help people in need it's a bigger plus.



Matt and Kim #66 ($54.99)
Once again, Converse's idea to have one hundred different designers for their Product (RED) campaign was complete genius. Matt and Kim, whoever they are, created what can only be called walking art. The building photo on the side of the shoe gives me Warhol-esque feelings and I'm digging it.



Mike Schall #33 ($54.99)
The pipelines around the shoe has a really modernistic art feel to it. I think I might need these.



Chuck Taylor All-Star Big Plaid ($50.00)
It's plaid. It's fresh. It's Converse. As corny as that is, there's not really much more that needs to be said. Freshness all around.



Jeff Hamada #24 ($55.00)
The whole "we are the world" thing with the hands is really creative, and does more to drive home the emphasis of the (RED) campaign. I'd like brighter colors or at least bolder colors but the design is still fresh.

Shop Converse

Product(RED)

No comments: