Friday, January 16, 2009

Spin Worthy

B.o.B - "I'll Be In The Sky"




B.O.B. - "I'll Be in The Sky"
I don't know what it stands for, but it's the name of up and coming ATL rapper B.O.B. he's not super unknown thanks to collaborations with T.I and Ludacris, but I'm sure to 95% of you he's a new name. I'm not much on hip-hop/rap these days, because outside of the ringtone songs, it's pretty boring, but B.O.B is a new Andre 3000. Or he at least gives off that aura in his new song "I'll Be in The Sky". Andre 3000 is badass in every way and "Sky" utilizes a lot of the same big band, upbeat instrumentation that gave Outkast some of their greatest hits ("Hey Ya" "I Like the Way You Move"). His voice is also very very similar to Andre's, almost to the point where I thought it was a new Outkast song. But he's definitely released a buzz worthy single and it actually would be a nice fit on radio, especially with the spring season coming. But the only negative to his sound is that since he is so similar to Andre, there will almost certainly be critics who will say he needs his own sound. But he makes good music, and that's all that counts.


Now on to the video. B.O.B doesn't take himself seriously at all, and I like that. But it's kinda weird because at first glance he doesn't give off the off kilter, quirky vibe that artists like Andre have. Long story short, his voice doesn't fit his look, but that's what makes it all amazing. The video is not bad, although the 'hype' men in the background look really random and out of place. Actually all the background people don't fit this song, but whatever.

His album "The Adventures of B.O.B" is due sometime later this year.

No comments: